Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 143 - Spock!

aww... today is day 143. 143 is like ancient pager code for "I love you".

So, I had an awesome day today. It was probably the first day in a long time that I would constitute as "awesome". What made it awesome, you ask? God made it awesome. My heart and soul was refreshed. Ahh. So nice. Cried a lot today too during small groups. Always awesome to cry with my gals. Sometimes I have no idea what I'm talking about once I start crying. It's like a blur. Words and tears just come pouring out together... unrestrainedly. I think my teards (tear+words? is it working? too close to turds?) were teards of gratitude, of thankfulness, of love... hope so anyway. K. So. Enough randomness. Spock.

So... I'm kind of a trekkie. Anderson never understood it. Even after I made him watch a few movies... he still made fun of me. That and he couldn't even tell the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek. It's OK. I forgave him and we had a beautiful marriage nevertheless. It took me a LONG TIME to watch the new Star Trek movie... mostly cuz I was busy with school, but now that it's out on DVD/Blu-Ray, I've been watching it... kind of a lot.

Are you out of your Vulcan mind? - McCoy

I think I've always admired Spock. For his logic... and for the nobility of his character... in sacrificing himself in that radiation chamber thingee to save the Enterprise and its crew... anyway... so something he says every once in a while is...

If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

I think when you first hear it, you're somewhat just wow'ed by the words, kinda agree with it and then move on with the rest of the movie. Or maybe that's just what happened with me. This time (or I can't remember which time I watched it)... when he said it... I just thought about it. I thought about it over and over and over again.

Seems to make sense. It makes sense when applied to a lot of things... but not with the gospel.

Define "impossible".

The gospel is impossible. But does that make it a lie? Nope. Just inconsistent with Vulcan logic.

So... what is the gospel and why is it impossible? The gospel is that Jesus Christ, the perfect, sinless, Son of God, came to earth fully man and fully God, died an unjust death at the hands of the very people he came to save, rose again on the 3rd day, to conquer death and pay the ultimate once-and-for-all sacrifice to redeem the sins of all of mankind... according to scripture. If we believe that He did this, that we are sinners in need of a savior who did all of that for us... we will be saved and have eternal life. Anyone who believes in their heart can be saved. Has nothing to do with working for it or earning it... it's a free for all... free for the taking. K. Now that sounds pretty darn impossible to me. Eternal life is free? God became man? Rose from the dead? All impossible. But what is impossible for a human is possible with God. So I could say that about anything that's impossible, so how do I know it's true? (1) I know it's true because God has opened my eyes so that I see that it is true and (2) I know it's true because this impossible gospel has changed my life... impossibly... to the point where I know that it's nothing that I did... it was all God. How can I have joy in my suffering? How can I go on living when the love of my life was taken away from me after only six months of marriage? How can I go on smiling? How can I function in the face of tragedy? How can I ever love anyone or anything again? How can I say that I have peace and joy within my heart? And I'm not lying. I really am OK. The God of the impossible has made it possible in me. So... if there was ANY doubt in the existence of God, in the power of the gospel, in the abundant life or in existence of peace that is incomprehensible... all of that doubt is wiped away in the face of the proof that is my life... my testimony. And not just mine... in the testimony and proof of countless other Christians who have truly experienced God in a powerful way.

So many times, we hear that Christianity is all about faith. And it is. I don't know what's going to happen in my life... I just know that it's gonna be OK because God says so... so I have faith in that. I wasn't there when Christ died and rose again, but I believe that it happened... I take it on faith. But if I didn't see it, does it mean that it didn't happen? No. I never saw my parents being born... but their existence... and mine... is proof that it happened.

Faith and logic appear to be incompatible. But I think it really depends on what you have faith in. If you were going to have faith in SOMETHING or SOMEONE, wouldn't you want it to be in an all-powerful, all-knowing God who loves you and wants the best for you... ALWAYS? He has said that He will never leave us or forsake us... that the good work He has started in us, He will complete. If my God can make the impossible happen... if He can turn an ugly, unjust death and turn it into the most beautiful act of love in the history of mankind... I think he can handle pretty much everything and anything. Faith in the infallible, is the logical choice.

I'm a fairly logical person. Someone once told me that I somehow had the ability to "logic" myself out of sticky situations... like a man. It doesn't always work, but I guess it's one of my more masculine traits or tendencies.
Logic offers [Vulcans] a serenity humans seldom experience, a control of feelings so that they do not control you. - Spock's dad.
Feelings are fleeting. Feelings are fickle. Feelings are based on... a perceived, subjective reality. What is logical, is to adhere to the objective reality and live based on that. We learned from the pulpit today that the Bible is our source of objective reality. We can trust in it. Learn from it. Be changed by it. If you wanna find out what Christianity is all about... you can read it yourself. You don't have to take another person's word for it... don't even take another person's testimony for it. You can find out for yourself... directly.

So... if the gospel is true, and if eternal life is truly free for the taking... isn't the logical thing to do... to share it with others? Whether or not they believe is up to them... but as far as you and I go... that's pretty much all we need to do. Just share and let the gospel and the Power behind it speak for Itself.

Hm. I think that may be all the thoughts I have on Spock, logic, and the gospel.

Here's a funny one...
Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical humans.
Any thoughts? Is my logic sound?

No comments:

Post a Comment