Saturday, April 11, 2009

Email Archive - Subject Line: Answered Prayers

 Apr 11, 2009, 9:53:28 PM

to Prayers for Anderson
This past week, I think our theme would be... answered prayers.

We have been crying out that the lumbar puncture and the spinal MRI would be negative.  They told us that the 2nd tumor was most likely a metastases from the original tumor... which would mean that there could be tumor cells in the spinal fluid.  I had been preparing my heart for bad news, but I still had hope that maybe this time God would save us.  God had spoken to me in my personal devotions through the stories of the Israelites... how they continually cried out to God for Him to rescue them and He always answered and saved them.  I looked for sin in my own life to purge and confess and continued to cry out to God with Anderson to rescue us and save us.  The news that the lumbar puncture and the MRI of the spine were clear of tumor cells came and we rejoice together at the news.  They told us that they will continue to monitor as we finish up radiation therapy.  Praise God for a little less drama this week.

Our friends have come to visit us this weekend and Anderson seems to have more energy with them around.  He didn't take a nap today and he even hung out with everyone after dinner and we all had a short devotion together as we went through chapter 9 of Job.  It was a nice time of fellowship among friends and I feel really blessed that they came.  Anderson even agreed to come "walk around" with us to the market after dinner.  This was probably the first time he wanted to go out other than to a restaurant. 

Anderson continues to take a shower by himself and try to do more things on his own.  We all encourage him now to exercise and work out his right hand to help gain back some coordination.  He says that his knees feel stronger from all the exercise from PT.  It's very encouraging for him to say that because he's seeing progress and that all his hard work is paying off.  It's also encouraging to hear our friends tell him that he looks good and that he's getting around more and that things seem a little better than the last surgery.  He needs to hear a lot of these verbal encouragements.  It really helps. 

Prayer requests for this week:
  • PT/OT - continued strength and energy to get through the therapy 3 times a week.  Pray that he would have continued progress and would work on his "homework" in his free time at home.
  • Radiation - they say that he will start to lose his hair in the 2nd or 3rd week.  Day 6 will be Monday.  Pray for the effectiveness of the treatment and also that he would mentally prepare himself for losing the hair.  Also pray that he would not be too ashamed to wear the hat and still go out in public even after he loses his hair.
  • Safety - continue to pray for safety as he goes about and does his self-care around the apartment.  He's been really good with the walker but he said that he almost lost his balance one time when he tried to go backwards.
  • Jaw - we called the dentist last week and we hope to make an appointment to see the dentist again.  He says he feels his jaw popping when he chews.  Our doctors at MD Anderson say that we should talk to the dentists about that problem.  Pray that it works out and that we can do something about that.
  • Head shaking - especially when he wakes up in the morning or from a nap, his head shakes a lot.  He said that it really hurts his brain when it happens now.  Pray that the Lord would heal his neck muscles or whatever is causing the shaking and help that to diminish. 
  • Nutrition & health - pray that he would stay well nourished and not get sick.  we hear a lot of coughing here and there. 
  • Treatment plan - pray that the doctors would have wisdom and astuteness in planning his treatments.  Pray that they wouldn't miss anything and that everything would happen quickly and efficiently... and effectively.
  • Energy & strength - continue to pray for more energy and strength during the day so that he will be encouraged and motivated to do more things and exercise his legs. 
And here is a small testimony from yesterday (Friday) about how God encouraged me through our circumstances. 

Once again, I praise God for working things out perfectly to save me stress and time.

  • Marriage Certificate - it was months after our wedding and still no certificate.  I'd called Norwalk twice and got put on hold for 20 minutes the first time only to have them say "call back in 3 more weeks" without even checking on the status of our paperwork... and the second time, I got put on hold for 50 minutes before I gave up.  Right before we flew to Texas, I submitted an online application (which costs an extra $6 but I figured... it would probably take me $6 in gas to drive there and back anyway) for a copy of a marriage license.  I think that after I submitted the online application, they went and found our paperwork and submitted it because all 3 copies (2 we requested back when we got married, and the 1 online one I requested) were mailed together on the same day.  Praise God for not having to go back to Norwalk or call them again.  Kelly mailed me one copy here in Houston.  After that, I decided to get my social security card changed here in Texas... since I'm here.
  • Social Security Part 1- so I downloaded the application to change my name from online, filled it out... but I couldn't print it because we didn't have a printer.  Maybe a week went by... and then Kenneth and Clara got us a printer so I printed out the application and put it together with the certificate.  I thought that I had read every single webpage carefully to make sure I had everything I needed to just mail in the application, certificate, and my license.  Since I had an expired license in my wallet and I couldn't find anywhere online where it said it had to be current... I put them all in an envelope to be mailed later.  I didn't have any blank envelopes or stamps at the time.
  • Post office - There's a post office inside MD Anderson hospital.  There was quite a line so I decided to go to the gift shop first (while Anderson was in Radiation) to buy an envelope.  No envelopes sold in any gift shops.  So I went to the concierge and asked for an envelope... she didn't have any but she said that I could probably purchase one from the post office with postage attached.  So... went to the post office and I was 3rd in line.  I waited my 5 minutes in line and then got to the front... but they were sold out of envelopes.  The mail-person suggested that I just use the envelope that Kelly had sent me and just cover the writing/postage with some blank white labels that she had.  She gave me the labels and I covered it all up, sealed everything and mailed it out that day.
  • Social Security Part 2 - 8:45am I get a call from the Social Security Office saying that they couldn't accept an expired license as a form of identification.  He said that he could mail it back to me OR I could come in to the office to pick it up and get everything squared away today because it's Good Friday and apparently everyone thinks it's a Social Security holiday so the office is pretty empty.  I got ready, printed out directions, and went.  From the time I left the house, to the time I stepped foot back into the apt... I was only gone for 25 minutes.  Including drive time!  I was 3rd in line at Social Security and got through in and out really quickly.  Nice.  :)  Everything worked out so perfectly, from the mailing of our license to Houston, to the arrival of the printer, to the day I mailed out the application, to the very time they called me to come in today, on Good Friday. I even praise God for placing us so close to the social security office.  I despise going to government agencies but today's encounter was pleasant and speedy.  Mucho praises to God, the master planner.
  • The more I think about the blessings in my life, the more I'm so thankful and can't help but give praise to God for working things out for us and taking care of us.  

<3,
Tiff

No comments:

Post a Comment