Monday, May 25, 2009

Email Archive - Subject Line: Anderson's Spine Surgery

May 25, 2009, 11:26:23 AM

to ipray4anderson
Hi all,

If you've been praying for us since the last e-mail... be THANKFUL because God answered our prayers pretty much right after I hit send.

Anderson's going to undergo an emergency laminectomy on his C7-T2 or T3.  They're going to remove part of his bones to help relieve the pressure.  They're also going to explore and see if they can remove the tumor.  We'll have to see how it goes.

He's going into surgery within the next few hours.  Please pray and pray hard.

Sorry to put this on you all on Memorial Day, but once again, we praise God for His perfect timing because there are no other surgeries scheduled today so he could get in right away.

With you all in spirit...
Tiff & Anderson

Tiffany

<tiffany.g.ng@gmail.com>
May 25, 2009, 12:59:20 PM
to ipray4anderson
Anderson just went into surgery. He's the only one scheduled for today so the holding area was completely empty... which is so weird but nice, I guess.  Nice and quiet. 
 
They told us to expect to wait up to 5 hours. 
There's also maybe only 3-4 other people in the surgical waiting area so it's just us here. It's quiet and peaceful and a very good place to wait. 
 
More updates later...
Tiff

Tiffany

<tiffany.g.ng@gmail.com>
May 25, 2009, 9:30:30 PM
to ipray4anderson
Hi all,

Anderson's out of his surgery.  The laminectomy went well but the doctor had less than stellar news to tell us.  Upon exploration of the tumor site, they found that the larger of the spinal tumors is growing within the spinal cord itself and not on the outside.  It is confirmed that it is not resectable.  They debulked what they could, but it's growing inside the cord so at some point they had to stop.

The surgeon said that the next 72 hours is a waiting period after which we'll see his neurological response to the surgery.  We don't know how much time there is left, but since this tumor grew in 1.5 months to the size it did, it doesn't seem like it can be controlled at this point from any human standpoint or intervention. 

I'm in a great deal of emotional pain right now.  Thankfully, somehow my thoughts are being protected from spiraling too deep into the what ifs and what coulds.  I still cry a lot though. 

So I've been working on the Tifferson story and I think I'm at 14 pages and I'm still not caught up to the present day yet.  I'm thinking of just posting it onto the google group or sending it out in installments so everyone's not all inundated with the sheer volume of it all.  I hope to finish soon.

I am comforted by God at this time and I'm trying to live minute to minute, day by day.  I know He's crying with me and I know He's guarding and protecting me as well as Anderson.  Whatever happens next is all part of the masterpiece of our lives. 

I'm tempted to shout out that it's not fair, that we don't deserve this, that we're so young, and that we're good people who deserve to be happy... but all of those phrases get cut off before I even finish thinking them.  They are replaced by phrases like: he is not mine to keep, this is all part of His plan, we've been happy, these 6 years have been the best gift I've ever received, and the Lord feels and He knows the pain of loss.  I really don't think that all of these phrases come out of human rationalization, they are of God and are the fruit of your prayers for us.  Thank you. 

I am still comforted by the story of Gideon and the story of Job.  I'm not sure if our ending will be parallel to their story, but there is still hope.  It's not over yet.

I will never be able to speak about all of this as much, as deeply, or as eloquently as I can write it.  Think of these emails as windows into my heart. 

I'm so tired.  But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 2 Corinthians 4:7-9

Love,

Tiffany

<tiffany.g.ng@gmail.com>
May 26, 2009, 11:06:36 AM
to ipray4anderson
Hi everyone,

So updates from today... Anderson's doing well.  He still can't move from the chest down but he's pretty awake and alert and he's able to talk to people.  He is on a liquid diet and he's eating OK. 

His next procedure will be tomorrow.  They're going to put an IV filter into his inferior vena cava for prophylaxis for pulmonary emboli.  When you're immobile, the muscles in your legs aren't helping move the blood in your legs.  When the blood stays in the legs too long without moving, clots begin to form.  The clots can be life threatening if they break off and travel to the lungs.  The filter is supposed to catch any clots that form and prevent them from traveling to the lungs.  They say that it's a pretty simple procedure. 

If all goes well, he will resume radiation in 7 days. He also has to be lying flat for a few more days.  If everything goes well in the next few days, hopefully we'll be able to move back to a regular room and out of the ICU.  Right now, he needs to eat a lot of calories so he can heal his surgical wound and prepare himself for radiation.  That's what we can control. The tumors and any other complications... that's up to God.

Thank you for all the messages you sent Anderson through the MD Anderson website!  I haven't read them to him yet but it's a pretty thick stack.  :) 

Also, many of you have expressed an interest in coming to visit him here in Houston.  I am not going to discourage you to come, but if you do... please be flexible and don't be too disappointed if he's too tired or if family is here because they take precedence.  We'll try our best to accommodate everyone, but he also needs to get rest. 

The airports around here are HOU (Hobby), the better option, and IAH (Bush international Airport), which is further away, but also possible.  Hobby is only 20 minutes away. 

The hospital is M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.  There are a LOT of hotels in the medical center area.  The hotels also have free shuttles.  Almost every hotel in the area has shuttles to the hospitals. 

Again, I'm not going to tell you NOT to come, but we will limit you if visiting that particular day is too much for him. I know that all of you understand because you're great like that. 

k... that's all for now.
<3,
Tiff

Tiffany

<tiffany.g.ng@gmail.com>
May 27, 2009, 1:20:36 AM
to ipray4anderson
Hi all,

Wow.  I am still in awe at how far-reaching these e-mails are going and how far some e-mails are coming back to us.  I thank you all for your advice and for your help.  The love surrounding us is amazing and is definitely of God and from God. I also can't believe how much some of you read.  wowzers. 

It's been a fairly restful day for Anderson.  After the parade of doctors that come around in the morning and scheduling the IV filter placement for later on today (Wednesday)... it's just been pretty much rest and chatting until everyone went home.  I kinda like it when they do even though I miss ppl sometimes but nights are OUR time.  Anderson and I usually talk at nights before we go to bed and I'm able to stay with him in the hospital so we can continue our nightly routine.  I tell him all my feelings and he's here to comfort me.  It's sad sometimes but he's my husband and I'm his wife.  I don't have to be anyone but me and that's the way it should be.  No regrets and no holding back.

We also read all of your emails to us (sent through the MD Anderson website).  The volunteers delivered us a whole big packet of "net notes".  Thank you all for your prayers, encouragements, and reminders of how great you all are. 

Also, many of you have emailed me back with some encouragement and also some warnings.  I take them all to heart.  Sometimes I'm in so much heartache I feel like I can hardly breathe.  Sometimes I feel like I'm OK but in the middle of walking, showering, driving or even turning on the sink a memory pops into my head and my heart wails.  And then just as quickly as it came, it stops.  It feels strange but... that's how it's been for me lately. 

David was a man after God's own heart.  Reading about him lately has been a really big encouragement to me.  Here's my goal for the time being.  We're going to cry out and plead with God because now is the time for that.  We are also going to make the most out of every day we have together.  No one's giving up hope, but no one's planning too far ahead into the future.  Our situations may not be exactly the same, but David was crying out to God for his sick child in 2 Samuel.

 15 After Nathan had gone home, the LORD struck the child that Uriah's wife had borne to David, and he became ill. 16 David pleaded with God for the child. He fasted and went into his house and spent the nights lying on the ground. 17 The elders of his household stood beside him to get him up from the ground, but he refused, and he would not eat any food with them.

 18 On the seventh day the child died. David's servants were afraid to tell him that the child was dead, for they thought, "While the child was still living, we spoke to David but he would not listen to us. How can we tell him the child is dead? He may do something desperate."

 19 David noticed that his servants were whispering among themselves and he realized the child was dead. "Is the child dead?" he asked.
      "Yes," they replied, "he is dead."

 20 Then David got up from the ground. After he had washed, put on lotions and changed his clothes, he went into the house of the LORD and worshiped. Then he went to his own house, and at his request they served him food, and he ate.

 21 His servants asked him, "Why are you acting this way? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept, but now that the child is dead, you get up and eat!"

 22 He answered, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, 'Who knows? The LORD may be gracious to me and let the child live.' 23 But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."


I hope that my heart can be after God's heart too.  Pure and holy, blameless and unselfishly yearning and seeking after God's heart.  Anderson's faith has also never been stronger.  We talked about that tonight. 

My aunt wrote this quote to me yesterday. Death cannot stop true love; what it can do is delay it for a while - Wesley from the Princess Bride.  I cried when I read it because I realized how true it was.  Anderson has a lot of peace knowing that we will all reunite in heaven one day.  I'm trying to follow in his example too. 

K.  Those are my thoughts for tonight.  It's past 3am so I should get some rest. 

Night...
Tiff

P.S. if you're reading this now... please pray that Anderson gets some good rest.  it's really hard to sleep in the ICU.  Also, having to lay down flat all the time... it doesn't help your lung expansion... just pray that he'll be able to breathe easy and get good rest. 

Tiffany

<tiffany.g.ng@gmail.com>
May 29, 2009, 12:52:34 AM
to ipray4anderson
Hi all,

sorry it's been a few days since my last update.  been catching up on some rest.  i'm really tired tonight too so i'm going to make it a short one.

So Anderson's ready to move out of the ICU and into a regular room.  The only problem is that there aren't any rooms available so we're still in the ICU tonight.  Hopefully tomorrow.  Can pray about that.  It's easier to rest in a regular room so we're hoping to go there soon.  The hospital is at 105% capacity (5% of ppl are waiting in the emergency center for a bed to open up) and last we heard, there were 7 other people waiting for rooms on the neuro floor.

He got a T-spine MRI tonight.  Hopefully the results are good but I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Can pray about that.

It's also been 72 hours since his laminectomy so now he can sit up higher than 15 degrees so he can eat and brush his teeth better. He ate a lot for dinner tonight.  :)   Yay!  PTL!

I've also heard that a lot of people are still being fwded my emails from others.  I'm not sure how to do it exactly, but I've set the group settings so that it's an open group and anyone can join.  I think you can just go to this link and subscribe yourself, or unsubscribe yourself if you'd like:  http://groups.google.com/group/ipray4anderson?hl=en.  It also has the archives of all the past emails I've written out.  Hope it helps!

Lots of visitors coming in this weekend.  Pray that he'll have energy and be in good spirits.  And get rest. 

We had a good night tonight... we chatted over dinner, a little bit more afterwards, and then I climbed into bed with him and we just laid there a while and prayed.  I like nighttimes. 

Night everyone!
Tiff

No comments:

Post a Comment